Sunday, August 07, 2005

summery summary
i can't believe there are three weeks left in the summer. classes start september 6. back in may, the summer seemed so expansive. i thought i'd have all this time to do all these things. get in shape, travel, go to the beach, read a hundred books, see friends, etc. i guess i've done a lot of that. i think i've gotten into some sort of shape -- not quite oblong not quite oval. i've been camping in new hampshire. had some beers. played some pool. i even played some soccer! who knew!

it is beautiful today. but there's sort of that waning heat in the air. it's hot, but ... maybe my body or my mind is telling my body that autumn is on its way. there's a feeling in the air that it's not going to last much longer. maybe because it's post-solstice. maybe it's just because earlier this week it was so disgustingly hot and humid i could steam vegetables in my shorts. (eew, i just grossed myself out there.) maybe it's totally mental b/c i know that pretty soon i'm going to be busier than i could ever imagine. again.

to recap, the first semester of law school last year was challenging but i managed to have some semblance of a social life, to work out, to cook dinner instead of just eat out all the time, to see something besides the inside of the library and the glow of my computer (like the inside of my eyelids, for one). a lot of the challenge was just rewiring my brain to think like a lawyer, or law student, or just learn how to brief cases. second semester, i don't know what happened but it all fell apart. no working out, not seeing my best friend for several weeks at a time, blowing through my loan money by mid-april because i was eating out all the time, officially retiring from taekwondo. eh. i'm not sure if that last one is a product of how busy i was or other factors.

they say first year they scare you to death, second year they work you to death, and third year they bore you to death. well, on-campus-interviewing starts the same day classes start, so i could see myself falling behind on reading before i've even started. and then playing cite-checking slave. and possibly continuing my summer position through the fall because i have no idea how we're going to get everything done in the next three weeks without me going way over my allotted 30 hrs / week and losing my sanity to boot. part of me is looking forward to the discipline of a schedule and classes and schoolwork and the joy of learning. i love the freedom of summer but i gotta get on with my life. this is not how i want to live my whole life. i need to be somewhat more productive than this. so let's get on with it, if we must.

oh, but not before i jet off to LA on 8/18! yeay!

No comments: