Monday, August 29, 2005

on the verge

Today was the first day of orientation activities, for both freshmen and 1Ls. The complete deluge of new students has not happened yet -- the undergrads are doing some service project and today was our law school minority orientation. I got to school at about 10:30 (after cleaning out my checking account to rent a parking spot; ouch) and my heart and stomach started doing somersaults when I saw the minority orientation going on. And then I giggled when I saw the new students later in the library. I guess it's better than being the only person in the library, which I was today, for several hours. Library staff to student ratio was 13:1 or so. I guess I'm getting my money's worth.

The 1Ls looked shiny and optimistic. Eager. The freshmen looked...embryonic. Sitting there opening up accounts with Bank of America (oh how they will rue the day they did that).

I'm not sure what is freaking me out about school starting again. I'm bored out of my skull so I know having school work and more people around will be nice. Maybe I'm afraid of the interviews and how hectic it's going to be and how busy I'm going to be and how I have to pay $170 in dues for my journal -- essentially I'm paying to work my tail off for them. Something doesn't make sense there. But whatever. I don't know. I could ramble on for hours theorizing why I feel the way I do. Maybe it's just one of those anticipation things. I've never been good with anticipating -- I freak out more than when I actually face the challenge or event or whatever it is that's giving me palpitations.

In other news, I'm in love with The Killers. How did I not hear of them before? Mr. Brightside is on perpetual repeat.

I had even more news, but I forget so I'm going to go now. Tomorrow is volunteer service day. We're supposed to go do some beautification projects by the river. Uhh...yeah, in Hurricane Katrina. If you don't hear from me tomorrow, I've been washed away down the river. Or eaten by my pile of laundry that I'm sure is about to grow a consciousness and start looking for a source of nutrition.

No comments: