Tuesday, August 30, 2005

the day, in progress
I feel really accomplished today so I'm going to post about the mundane.

Today was our volunteer service orientation day. (I'm not sure what it's called officially, but it's some iteration of those four words.) Our project was to weed along the river, removing invasive species. We did. In the rain. It was cool. The most impressive part was how trooper-like the other volunteers were. I was so proud of them. They just plugged away in the rain. I swear, if we were given better weather and more cookies, we could have cleared the entire river.

The one gross thing: while picking up garbage, I found a hypodermic needle. Eew. The coordinator just said to leave it. And I did.

Now I'm working because I have to because I'm an idiot and told the professor I research for that I could meet with him today. I'm having a hard time staying awake because that was some hard labor we did and my body is weary yet satisfied and really wants a disco nap.

Tonight is our volunteer orientation service day (see!) social. I am so broke it's not even funny, but somehow I will scrounge up a few bucks to get watered down coors lite at the bar. I like the newbies who were on my project, and a lot of my friends are also leaders for other projects and it will be fun to see them tonight. So I guess I should go get my work done so I can get the rest of the day going.

No comments: