Saturday, November 04, 2006

On Ethics

Yesterday, in the midst of studying for the MPRE, I was going to write about how I lost my wallet at the Halloween party but had it returned -- with $55 and my monthly subway pass missing. Although it was nice not to have to spend $300 replacing my locks, I was going to write, it kind of sucked to lose the $55 and subway pass. On balance, not so much, but then I was going to mount a high horse and allude to the fact that when I have found lost things, I return them, with everything intact, even if I could stand to gain from the find and not suffer any obvious, outward repercussions. This all was on my mind as I was studying for my ETHICS exam.

But halfway through the post, halfway through mounting my high horse (I'll call him "Ed"), I lost my inspiration. I mean, it's easy for me to say I won't steal, but I don't need to steal. (And I don't have a compulsion to steal, but that's a little off-topic.) It's easy to condemn the act when I have never felt worried that I wouldn't be able to find my next meal (except when driving in the depths of rural bumblefuck . . . but, again, off-topic). I've been really lucky, and there was something kind of distasteful about talking about being a privileged law student, getting drunk, being stupid, and losing a wallet and essentially condemning an employee, who had to clean up after my mess and my idiocy and spilled drinks, for taking $55. And a subway pass. (I presume it was an employee based on a note left in my wallet.) I face a potentially privileged future, and have come from a fairly privileged upbringing. Who knows about the perpetrator. Maybe s/he is privileged; maybe s/he has a compulsion. Who knows.

But, after my performance on the MPRE, I am extra glad I didn't mount Ed. Because come March, I may have to take the damn thing again! Ugh.

No comments: