Thursday, November 30, 2006

Drunk on Sound

Drunk on Sound

I just got home from a concert. Dinosaur Jr. How did I end up at this show? Well, I got drunk and someone I was drinking with brought them up and I said, "Oh, I'll go, I love shows." I had never heard their stuff before. But I do love shows. Here are some bulleted thoughts, because it's that time of the year.

  • The band was loud. My ears are still muffled and at a few points during the night, they actually, physically hurt. I'm going to the Weepies concert next week; my ears should hurt less.
  • There were a lot of white men, ages 25-40. Thus, it was one of the tallest concerts I've ever been to. I had a hard time seeing.
  • I loved the crowd - there were lots of older people there b/c Dinosaur Jr. was big in the 80s, mainly. That was 20 years ago. You do the math. It was pretty fun to watch middle-aged men rock out. Half the fun of the concert was people watching.
  • I got drunk on music. I was quite tired, and the constant thumping of the music on my eardrums - at one point, I felt like I was in a trance. I once went to a rave (in college, on my college campus, so not as nuts as it sounds), and in the middle of dancing, also experienced this similar otherworldly sensation. Amazing.
  • The members of Dinosaur Jr. (and their opening band, too, actually) were some of the least glamorous musicians I had ever seen. Round in the middle, wearing grungy t-shirts, sporting grungy haircuts. They resembled the crowd. I smelled a lot of borderline BO. Heh. It was so refreshing. It made me realize that I've been really caught up in some superficial bullshit. When you took away all that crap, it was just songs. And there weren't much lyrics, so it was really drums, guitar and bass.

I'm in a good mood, but I'm waaaaay behind on work. Fuck it all.

I did have this thought: You know how every law student is crazy in his/her own way? I mean, every professor / partner I've ever met / seen / worked with is completely nuts. And every one of my classmates has idiosyncracies - and I mean, more than the average person, because everyone's got issues. But law students are worse than most. Social awkwardness, inability to look people in the eye, inability to handle stress, etc. Then I realized, OH MY GOD, WHAT IS MINE?! OH MY GOD, WHAT IS MINE?!

My plans to visit China over break are gelling ... hopefully in the morning, they will be finalized. This year is going to be exhausting, but balls to the wall, my friends, balls to the wall.

Good night!

No comments: