Sunday, October 29, 2006

Happiness

Happiness

Today, I booked a hotel room for my parents for graduation weekend. This means I have to graduate or $700 goes down the drain. Well, you know, $700 plus $120,000. My goal for graduation weekend: have it be less annoying than college graduation. Because that was awful - so awful I almost didn't want my parents coming to this one.

But when my BFF offered to come for my graduation, I realized, well, it would be sort of gauche not to invite my parents as well. So yay! Now all I have to do is, you know, not fail.

I'm really not that excited about graduation. I think it's because pretty much right afterwards, I have to study for the bar.

I just watched Brothers & Sisters (ABC). It's a damn good show, although I have to say, I wasn't that excited by the pilot. The last two episodes have been much better. It's a real adult drama. With interesting characters and somewhat realistic scenarios. I mean, it's no Desperate Housewives, that's for sure. This has inspired me to list the other shows that have made the cut this fall:
  • The Class (CBS)
  • The Nine (ABC)
  • Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (NBC)
I'd also really like to watch Ugly Betty (ABC), but it overlaps with The Office (NBC). I think I'm also going to Tivo Heroes (NBC) and Vanished (Fox). Oh, and that new Taye Diggs show looks good, perhaps . . . Oh, too much TV!

Shows that sucked:
  • Jericho (CBS)
  • Justice (Fox)
  • Six Degrees (ABC)
And other shows that are returning to my Tivo:
  • 24 (Fox)
  • Lost (ABC)
  • Grey's Anatomy (ABC)
  • Gilmore Girls (CW) [It was off to a rocky start, but the last two episodes were GOOD.]
  • Veronica Mars (CW)
  • House (Fox) [When it doesn't overlap with GG.]
  • The Simpsons (Fox)
  • Scrubs (NBC) [If it ever starts up again.]
At the end of tonight's episode of Brothers & Sisters, there was a really beautiful song. It was Roseanne Cash's "The World Unseen." I've noticed a lot of shows use music. I'm not sure if it's the Grey's Anatomy effect or the Scrubs effect, but it's almost getting to the point where it's annoying. I guess it saves on production costs. I remember one of the things about X-Files was that it required a lot more musical score composition than other shows - for example, if the average show had 25 minutes of music, X-Files would have 35 or something like that. But today, there's not a lot of original composition - just a lot of hip rock music. I wonder if it's the iTunes effect. I mean, I certainly am in tune with a lot more indy-type artists than I was 10 years ago. Then again, I could just be hipper. Natch.

Off to finish my mid-term!

No comments: