Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Truth
As a research assistant, I get a study cubby in the library. These things are in the basement of the library, isolated, remote, hidden. They abut windows on one side, overlooking the pathway between the law school and the Chapel or School of Theology. The room is about 3 feet x 7 feet and has two desks, facing away from each other. I have the cubby to myself. And ... I've been sleeping in there. No, not overnight. Cuz that'd be weird. But when I get sleepy, I just pull down the blinds, crawl on top of the unused desk and grab a few winks. I scare myself. But tonight, I was exhausted and fell into a deep sleep, probably for about 30 minutes. I woke up feeling like I'd been asleep for hours and frightened that I was locked in the library. Out of fear, and sort of shame, I scampered out of the library. But I wasn't quite awake, and the people I ran into, I'm pretty sure I said incoherent things to them. And I was feeling really ill. Nauseous.

I'm kind of swamped with work right now. Professor Summer Research is attending a conference in February and we are prepping his presentation and paper. Seriously. Me. Discussing antitrust and economics with Professor. I'm way out of my league, but I hide my ineptitude pretty well. But this crunch has put a serious crunch on my schedule. I'm busy busy busy. And not sleeping.

Incidentally, I saw the law tower gnome on public transportation. He apparently lives in my direction. Don't know who the law tower gnome is? You've likely smelled him. He's this guy who is always scowling, and rides the elevator one floor and then stinks it up. He's got that musty smell to him. The rumor is that he was a law student who had a total breakdown. A professor felt bad for him and so hired him as a full-time research assistant. Rumors.

Sleep!

No comments: