Saturday, January 21, 2006

Questioning
One of the reasons I love to be in nature, in natural surroundings, is because I get this sense that God is real and close. I know God is not limited to undeveloped regions. But without distractions like tv and strip malls, I have nothing to do but face God in all God's glory. Everywhere I look, I am reminded of all the good things God has created for us -- the trees, the rivers, the breeze that gently tousles my hair, as if it were God's hand itself.

I know these thoughts and feelings are not unique. But for one of my classes I am reading a book on environmental ethics. All those grand feelings and thoughts, those feelings and thoughts that have motivated much of my life and my experiences, are suddenly collapsed into a single word: sublime. "[A] concept central to romanticism" that was important in the movement to designate certain parts of the country as wilderness areas. And which, more recently, has been criticised by environmentalists as contributing to the myth of the wilderness.

There is something deflating about having something so big and important and grand captured in a single word. A single word that represents a centuries old movement. Doesn't make it less valuable; just makes it ... commonplace. Used.

I'll get over it. But law school never ceases to make everything seem mundane and blah.

No comments: