Monday, January 16, 2006

Dental Things
I absolutely adore going to the dentist. OK, no. I absolutely adore leaving the dentist's office after a good cleaning, armed with shiny new dental supplies. I love the feeling in my mouth, and the thought of trying out some new floss. But because of various circumstances (namely: no dental insurance) I haven't been in about two years. During recent discussions with a friend, we finally decided to try out this
dental office in the neighborhood that sends out fliers. He went first and reported success, so I quickkly followed suit.

Interesting points of fact:

1) The dentist did the cleaning with this like sonic-y drill-y thing. No hygienist scratching and poking around in my mouth with deadly weapons. Under five minutes, we were done. And my teeth look better than ever!

2) For the first time ever, my dentist did not have fat hair fingers and arms. He also went to NYU Dental and graduated while I was there. No, it never came up in conversation.

3) Upon being asked whether I had any concerns, I told him about these zit-like postules in my mouth, under my tongue. They come and go but are really annoying. He takes a look under there and says, let me paraphrase, that the muscle-y thing under my tongue is connected really high. Then he asks, have you ever had speech problems? No, I mean, I say retarded things but I don't think that's what he means. Then he
says, ok, try this: open your mouth as wide as possible and see if you can touch the roof of your mouth with your tongue. (OK, you at home try it too.) I don't even come close. I have to close my mouth halfway before I can touch the roof of my mouth. He says this explains my funny zit-like things, and that my two middle bottom teeth have started turning out of alignment, and should be at the root of a speech
impediment. And I'm thinking to myself, is this why I don't have a boyfriend? Ok, not really. But the solution: lasers!! They trim that fleshy muscley thingie back. I'm afraid it will create a speech impediment. But I don't like the idea of my teeth coming out of alignment more. Something to consider ... for when I have dental
insurance.

No comments: