Monday, September 26, 2005

on kickball
I went to my first kickball game of the season this afternoon. There's something about the game ... Do you remember it? That red rubber ball. The baseball diamond. I remember how much I loved the game when I was a kid. I think I was pretty good at it, too, because I was always bigger than my classmates so I was generally stronger and could kick farther. And I think the ball we played with in elementary school is smaller than the one we play with now. Kickball was good, grade school fun.

Adult kickball is ... interesting. Many of the teams drink during the game and before the game and always after the game. Our bench smelled like a brewery by the end of the game. The ball is bigger, but so are the players. I managed to get on base both times I was up, but just barely. Players can palm the ball. They can also pitch remarkably fast. There were no gimme pitches today. And, my teammates and opponents are not the classmates I see every day and school and so kind of trust and like. No, these are strangers from all walks of life around the city. Professionals, students, stand-up comedians. My heart was actually racing when I got up to bat.

The game is fun. And when we play a good team, and by good I mean friendly, the game is great fun. Today's opponents, not so much. They were chumps. They were obnoxious and loud and petty. For example, a runner stole a base while the ball was being thrown back to the pitcher. All play stops when the ball is back at the pitcher, but the other team argued that technically, the ball was in the air and not with the pitcher. Yeah, technically, but my team was the one populated with law students and even we weren't splitting hairs like that. And then, to be completely catty, the pitcher from the other team, I have never spoken to her, never seen her before, and yet I just detest her. Nothing she said was funny. Nothing she said was interesting. Yet she insisted on being loud and the center of attention. It was like she thought she was the biggest shit and I wanted to deck her. Oh I so could have taken her. If it was ultimate fighting kickball, I know I could have won. Oh my how this post has deteriorated.

All in all, though, it was a good time. It will be, and is, a fun diversion from other crap, like school. Although right now, I don't really need any more ways to recreate. Monday is my climbing class. Swim class is on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm going to try and swim on Wednesdays as well, although this past week I went climbing instead. This past Friday I played volleyball, then ping-pong for 15 minutes, then climbed. On Saturday I swam and climbed.

My body is tired.

Also ... I missed the bidding deadline for the government/public interest job fair. I was considering it as an alternative to the firm thing, because maybe the firm thing isn't for me. But, I seem to have painted myself into a corner here.

No comments: