Sunday, October 02, 2005

Sunday is: Coffee and NYTimes.com
I am taking a family law class this semester. I decided to take it because the professor is supposed to be really great. And she is. She is also the first female professor I've had at law school so far. Hmm.

One of the downsides to taking this class, and perhaps to law in general, is studying all the negatives of having a family. Or not being able to be a family, in the case of homosexual couples. But I digress.

There's an article in today's NY Times about fathers getting paternity tests, finding out their kids aren't their kids, and the subsequent hurt and legal ramifications. (See also an earlier post regarding percentage of fathers who raise kids that are not their own.) Halfway through the NY Times article, I started to think this was the norm, that everyone cheats. And then I started to think about doing it if I ever had kids. It was depressing to think about, but then I realized, hey, not all relationships are like that. I know couples that don't cheat. I don't know many couples, but the ones I do know are quality. Perhaps a naive assumption, but I think I'm a pretty good judge of character. (Let me be if this is a delusion, eh?)

My point is, in law school, I tend to study the worst in things. The worst case scenarios and all the situations where things go wrong. But that's not life. Sometimes, things go right.

Maybe I'm just groggy.

No comments: