Sunday, September 24, 2006

Health

Health

Since school started, I do not think that I've had three healthy square meals on a single day. I usually have one meal (dinner), and maybe a glass of OJ in the morning. On some days I may have a bagel in the middle of the day. Generally speaking, however, I am probably not consuming nearly enough calories. More importantly, I don't think I'm consuming the proper nutrients. This is due mostly to the fact that I'm still getting used to my schedule and change always throws me for a loop. I get nervous, I can't eat, etc.

Anyway, not consuming enough calories is really not a problem b/c I haven't keeled over in my PE classes and my pants all fit me really well. I'm concerned, however, that I'm not getting enough nutrients and as a result I am literally covered head-to-toe in bruises. And somehow, last week, I acquired this bruise that covers the back of my thigh:



There are a few theories as to what's wrong. I could be anemic. This could be solved by eating spinach. Oh wait, no, because then I'll get e. coli. It could also be a platelet issue, although anemia and platelets could be related, for all I freaking know.

I had platelet issues in 7th grade, which started when I decided to be a vegetarian. I gave up all meat cold turkey. In my house, this meant I was eating a lot of white rice and kimchi. After several months, I started getting nosebleeds just from rubbing nose, practically. The nosebleed would take so long to stop that I would miss classes. Then I'd have to go home and change clothes because I was covered in blood. Also, I would bump into the edge of my bed and develop a bruise the size of a cantaloupe. I also played third base in softball and balls would hit my shins all the time, so I was basically purple all over. And you know what happened then? The school suspected I was being abused, dragged my parents into school, and made me go to the doctor to get checked out. And as it turned out, my platelet count was a fraction of a normal persons. It took me about six months or so of drinking some nasty herbal concoction, and reintroducing chicken and seafood back into my diet, before I was normal again.

Whatever is happening, I'm not going to let it get out of control. I resolve to eat better, to take my vitamins every day, and not to play third base. The team captain has already said I'm good to play second base.

[Insert dirty sex reference here.]

No comments: