Tuesday, May 31, 2005

memorial
i spent the greater part of the weekend at my parents' house, sleeping a lot, and enjoying my parents' lavishing of love on me. it wasn't long before they replenished both my belly and my wallet. it might sound weird and pathetic that at my age, my parents still give me pocket money (and money for paying bills), but that's the way it works in my family. we know affection only through money and food. hey, i've dealt with it. you should too.

it was sad leaving because i know my parents miss me and love me very much, although they're very excited for my legal education. ("when you graduate, we're going to take a giant ad out in the chinese newspaper and throw you a huge party!" oh, and have i told you how my dad said he'd buy me a mercedes? only if they make a hybrid, i say.) it was nice just to sit around the dining table and talk even if it was about business and whatever silly things they wanted me to do for them and what silly little things they had to say about their recent trip to san francisco or how my dad was tired of me holding onto his camera and he wanted it back. oh it was all so very touching and quant, in its own little twisted way.

i realized, however, how much my parents may prefer me over my brothers. i have a brother who is still working towards his BA. he originally lived in an apartment near campus. at $400 a month, it's a bargain, especially compared to the money they've had to shell out to house me in the various expensive cities i've studied in. my brother moved back home over a year ago. part of the reason was because, according to my mom, she couldn't afford paying my brother's rent. it didn't help that my brother came home every weekend to eat and generally be a sloth in front of the giant tv. but really, they couldn't afford $400? hmm...i highly doubt it. it's probably more like they didn't want to. anyways, i'm not going to dwell on it. (i think the greater reason has to do with my brother's infatuation with his car, which he totalled recently. now the fucking bastard drives a hybrid, much to my envy. if you want the low-down on my idiotic brother and his car, i'm sure if you troll through my posts from last winter, you'll find something.)

on saturday night, i stopped off in the city. it being saturday night, the club was open and my parents were working. it was only about 9pm, so nothing had really started yet; the employees were sitting down to dinner. first, it didn't take long before SOMETHING aggravated me and got my blood boiling. it reaffirmed my conviction that law school just might be the right thing for me; at the very least, not working at the club certainly is. second, it is absolutely true that the waitstaff are a bunch of conniving, manipulating, selfish, self-serving bastards. third, skinny little korean girls do nothing for my self-image, especially after a long semester of sitting on my ass, drinking beer, and eating out. sigh.

i've been procrastinating A LOT. thus, i will be up very late tonight reading materials i was told to have read by 2pm tomorrow, when i meet with professor summer research. hmm, and i should probably figure out how to do that lexis search, eh?

in other news, my parents are talking AGAIN of selling their liquor-selling establishments. Dear God, I hope these deals come through. but what this means for ME is that i might get an LCD tv out of the deal. sweeeeet.

also, i met with an old friend who was visiting from arizona. it was such a great time chatting. the general consensus is that i need to make friends outside of law school. it's true. i sicken myself sometimes with my behavior with some law school friends, one person / boy in particular. i need to let it go. pretty soon, if not already, i'm going to be crossing into i-hate-myself-how-can-i-be-so-pathetic territory. maybe i'll have a crush on one of my co-workers at my non-law school job. hmm...maybe i kind of already do.

No comments: