Thursday, March 16, 2006

City Living
My bedroom windows open up onto an alley that runs the span of my street. Across the alley is the backside of the apartments on the neighboring street. Noise echoes really efficiently down this alley and I can hear the homeless people sifting through the garbage for recyclables as if they were in my bedroom. And the garbage trucks on garbage day sound like they are playing their hydraulics as my personal alarm system. Too bad I rarely, if ever, need to wake at 6am. Now, catty-corner from me, there is some construction going on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a building. They've connected one of those chutes so they can drop trash in it and the trash falls two stories down into a dumpster parked in the alley. Well, the workers spent the entire morning sliding things down it. The noise resembled the sound of maracas ... but it sounded like they were being played in my brain. Now that it's after 9am, they're dead quiet. I wish they would time their work a little differently. I'm tired.

No comments: