Wednesday, June 16, 2004

total fatigue
sunday i woke up at 2pm. went to bed at 3am monday morning and woke up at 5:45 to drive 1.5 hours to new paltz, in some of the heaviest rain i'd ever seen. was scaling cliffs by 9, konked out at 2:30. i said, please, no more, i'm out of it. realized i totally forgot all my toiletries, walked to the drug store up the street from the hostel, took a shower, walked around town so i wouldn't fall asleep, finally had dinner and then went to bed. i was sharing my room with one other person, a hard of hearing 80 year old woman. we went to bed at the same time, at 8:30.

tuesday, was up at 8, on the cliffs by 9, and climbed all day till 5, the latter part of the day with my friend who lives up there. all in all, it was an amazing time. but my arms and shoulders and back are so sore, and my knees and shins are all sorts of shades of bruised. rock climbers are NUTS. I was climbing 5.4 and 5.5s and some of the parts were hairy. you just don't think that these super sticky rubber shoes are going to stick to a piece of rock sticking out that's like half an inch big, but they do. still, what i was climbing was cake compared to the 5.10 - 5.14 that professional nuts climb. that's like climbing a chalkboard, let me tell you. okay, maybe a chalkboard with a tiny hairline crack running down it.

still, i feel so physically satisfied. my body has done some hard work and earned the 9 hours of sleep i got last night (and the 11 hours the night before). i could totally see myself doing this again, but really, how many hobbies and ways to recreate does a girl need?!

back to the real world. back to all the errands i have to run for my parents, who, by the way, called me for the second time yesterday. and YELLED at me FROM ACROSS THE ATLANTIC OCEAN. how depressing.

No comments: