Sunday, July 16, 2006

Wind Energy

Wind Energy
Ever since I first heard about the Cape Wind project, where developers want to put a wind farm off the coast of Cape Cod, I've been against it. I first heard about it in 2001 or 2002. And it's odd that I'm against it because I am generally a proponent of any type of alternative energy. I'm actually a fan of nuclear power, as well, as it's clean and efficient. People are just too scared of it. Anyway, I digress. I felt uneasy about the Cape Wind project - I feel like the ocean is the one last place we can go and actually get away from most signs of human life and impact. If we've already trampled our way across the land, why can't we put wind farms on land and leave the oceans alone?

But the other day, I got to hear Jon Tester speak. He's the democratic candidate for Senate from Montana, challenging the Republican incumbent who's been linked to the Jack Abramoff scandal. Anyway, Tester was talking about wind energy and something just clicked for me. I don't know why I hesitated in supporting it. So I'd like to officially throw my support behind Cape Wind and other similar projects.

For crying out loud, the world is ending. This summer there has been massive flooding in New England and the Mid-Atlantic. The sky (or ceiling) is falling on us here in Boston. Lebanon and Israel are practically in a war, if they aren't officially in one yet. India train bombings. Iraq. Iran. North Korea.

I'm sure my serenity can handle a few wind turbines off the coast of F-ing Cape Cod. If we build it in time before the world ends.

In any event, I've decided to try and get myself into local poltics. We have a very interesting governor's race going on. Actually, that's about the only interesting race going on because this city is so f-ing democratic, when I voted in 2004, I only had to make about three choices, and one of them was for President of the United States. And for many of the city positions, people don't run by party. But the governor's race is interesting because there are several Democratic candidates, and then it becomes a contest between the blue city versus the rest of the red state.

But I don't think I'm going to help educate myself in local political issues if I choose the Sunday NY Times over the Globe...

No comments: