Sunday, February 19, 2006

Waffle House Hash Browns
Last night I went to an Irish bar for my friend's surprise not Birthday. This means her birthday is in October and we were throwing her a surprise party last night. This Irish bar was a little off the beaten track -- accessible by public transport but not so accessible that it would be full of undergrads. We were expecting working professionals. We got ... well, I'm not sure.

To start off with, there was this Irish band playing really really loudly. That was fun and all, and they played some fun songs, I think they were drinking/rugby songs or something. But then towards the middle of their set, they started talking, and by their tone you could tell they were serious. But people weren't really listening, so the band started yelling at us to quiet down. Yelling! Like I was a naughty schoolgirl. (And not in a dirty sexual way.) Then they commenced a 10-minute lecture even U2 wouldn't have dared give in the middle of one of their shows. This had something to do with some bill in the Senate to give citizenship to people who were in this country after X date or something. I'm not really sure. But apparently it's so important to the Irish people they're trying to organize complete strangers in a bar on a Saturday night to attend a rally in Washington next month. And to emphasize the import of this, the lecturer/lead singer adds, "every woman in this room has Irish in her..." I was kind of offended. I mean, I've had Irish in me but it was pretty presumptuous to think I had Irish in me at that very moment, sitting in the back of a crowded bar. But then I looked around and realized I was essentially the only non-white person there.

Things got worse when all these damn fucking girls in their tank tops and white pants started using our table as a fucking trash receptacle. Never mind that equidistant from them were an unused ledge and the bar. Man, I was like one more bottle of Corona away from getting into a bar brawl. Instead, I just channeled all my psychic powers into hoping that they get syphillis from the men that were picking them up.

The whole night ended on a high note when we decided to go to ihop. Us and about 100 overdressed undergrads.

Still, I'll take McSorley's any night over that crap.

No comments: