Friday, April 18, 2008

A Spring Resolution

This may sound ridiculous, but never in my adult life have I gone on a diet. I mean, I watch what I eat, and I control my weight through my activity level. Some of my most extreme periods of weight loss have been due to stress - e.g. fall of my 2L year when I was interviewing; this last winter under some emotional duress. Then again, some of my most extreme periods of weight gain have also been due to stress - e.g. studying for the bar exam; studying for exams 1L year.

But I'm aiming to do something this summer that I've never done before. That is, wear a bikini Stateside. Sure, I wore a bikini when I was five, and I wore a bikini this summer in Europe when I was traveling with my friend. But I have never worn a bikini as a non-toddler in the United States. And in June, I'm traveling to Florida and the Outer Banks with friends and the boy and his family, respectively. And I want to wear a bikini.

So I told this to my trainer today and I said, I'd like to lose about 10-20 pounds. He said, well, let's aim for 1.5 pounds a week; that gives you time to lose 12 before your trip. But if you follow these instructions, you will lose that much weight in three weeks. So what am I supposed to do?

1. Drink MORE, and I think he means LOTS of, water;
2. Engage in 30 minutes of continuous physical activity every day;
3. Eat more vegetables (not really a problem in my life);
4. Eat less carbs;
5. Stay away from fried foods (really only a problem b/c there are like 14 pubs on every street in this god-forsaken city); and
6. Give up alcohol.

FREEZE. GIVE UP ALCOHOL? Doesn't he know that I'm a lawyer?

Upon further consideration, I think this is a good idea. I don't necessarily like the way I am when I drink (too much). And they really are an enormous source of empty calories. But I like the celebration aspect of drinking, when it's a true celebration of a true event, and not just happy hour. So I'm going to do my best to follow all of the above, including number 6, but when I absolutely need to, I'm going to drink vodka and club soda. Ha!

Ugh, this is ridiculous.

No comments: