Friday, February 23, 2007

I'm Just Not That Into You

Fishermen in New Zealand have caught an enormous squid, over 30 feet long and weighing about 990 pounds. It's so big, it's not a giant squid, it's a colossal squid. No, really, that's its technical name.

See here for more.

On a personal note, I have been sucking at blogging lately. It partly has to do with gmail, but it partly has to do with being kinda busy. Life is good, though. Last night, I went out, and talked to strangers and friends and had lots of fun but didn't act on any impulses, despite there being ample opportunity. It was more like the normal me.

I also went home for Chinese New Year last weekend. I had such a good time with my family, which is unusual. It did help that I was buzzed most of the time. It was kind of sad that my dad couldn't drink. The man owns some amazing expensive liquors, and now that I'm interested in drinking and trying them, it would be great fun to share them with my dad. But he kind of burned out his drinking ability early in life, which was sad, b/c I imagine it was really hard for him to sit there and watch his kids drink and not be able to share.

I drank some Johnnie Walker Blue. We didn't have ice, so we used frozen blackberries. The blackberries were tasty afterwards. I think I like JW Gold and Green better. Anyways. There are pictures, but not now. For now, enjoy the colossal squid.

2 comments:

bat said...

Here's a comparison

Comment someone posted on Digg:
Giant Squids are just slightly smaller than Colossal Squids, with their maximum lengths being an estimated 43ft and 46 ft, respectively.

The biggest differences, though, are that Giant Squids are thinner, and their tentacle length is much longer than that of a Colossal Squid, who are wide, stout, and have short tentacles. Because of Colossal Squids bodies' largeness, they weigh much more than Giant Squids. Also, Giant Squids' suction cups are lined with small teeth, whereas Colossal Squids have sharp, swiveling hooks.


I have to say though, I am a little suspicious of how accurately we can estimate the maximum length of a species of squid when we've only seen like 5 of them.

hap said...

Wow, I'm so glad that the London bus is in that graphic. It all makes sense now.

While the reliability of scientific information on giant / colossal squid may be questionable, it totally speaks to the part of me that believes in monsters. Like, I can suspend my disbelief, at least for this one thing.