Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Observations from the Weekend
I spent the long weekend at my parents' house. Sat-Mon. Monday was Marathon Monday and a holiday in the city. And it was my birthday weekend, and with finals coming up, I needed one more break from this place. So I went home. A few observations, some surprising.

1) My parents have wireless. No joke. *I* don't even have wireless.

2) My dad wrote his first email. And then forgetting to ask a question, he promptly wrote his second. Except, he writes in Chinese and it took him tortuously long to write what would have taken him 30 seconds to say over the phone. But as my mom put it, just let him do it. He's got nothing else to do. And, he'll get better with time. (Let's hope!)

3) I visited my uncle at the hospital. It turned into a mini-family reunion. My father was remarkably composed given that his mother spent a lot of time in a nursing home that did not smell much worse than this hospital. He was also really patient with my uncle, who was slurring his speech from the surgery/accident, and is a person my father usually has no patience with. He really surprised me.

4) Hospitals, at least the ones I've been to, are never as shiny and clean as they are on TV.

5) At what point am I supposed to act old enough so that I can fully participate in conversations with my relatives? I still feel like a child who sits in the corner and doesn't talk, but is just looked at while my parents show me off. Umm, the language barrier probably doesn't help.

6) The superfine weather made me quite nostalgic for my parents' house, and a former time of my life. I was driving everywhere I could with the roof open. And I'm pretty sure I went to the local Starbucks every two hours.

7) Spent a brief time shopping for work clothes for the summer. Current fashion trends are butt.

8) Rent is the best soundtrack to drive to ever. I should really consider digging up some other old musical soundtracks to pass the time ... Joseph, Chess, Titanic (the musical, not the movie), 1776...

9) I think I'm a manipulative person. Who is easily disappointed.

No comments: