Saturday, April 01, 2006

Ki-hap!
Yesterday, I had my introductory private lesson at the new taekwondo school I joined. I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into. I like the school because it is well run and offers classes morning 'til night, which works with my wonky schedule. However, it's a completely different system than I'm used to!

I'm no historical expert, but as Taekwondo developed over the centuries, it has fragmented into many different styles and sects. Today, there is at least two styles -- ITF and WTF. And then a lot of schools that run around saying they teach Taekwondo but really are more into sport karate or some such thing. And then everyone's master says he trained with some guy who started Taekwondo, even tho' the art is like over 2000 years old. I digress. My point is that the system at this school is totally different than everything I'm used to. They do the blocks differently. They do different forms. No one seems to ki-hap when they kick. And I think they call a back kick a turning side kick. Jury's still out on that one.

At the very least, the school does have a competition team, which I think is exactly what I'm looking for. Even then, I think they use funny gear -- like the clown shoes and pseudo-boxing gloves... we'll see. I don't really have time to go back right now. I've got a note deadline on Monday. Blah.

Oh, and yes, of all the many ways to write "ki-hap," I chose the one with my nickname in it. :)

No comments: