Sunday, June 05, 2005

summer
finally the weather has turned and we have had several beautiful days in a row. yesterday i went to a barbeque at a friend's house in nearly new hampshire. after a few hours, there were about 12 of us hanging out in her basement, shootin the shit and drinking beers. except for three of us from my hometown in jersey, the rest of the crowd was my friend's hubby's friends. it was kinda like a frat party...there was so much testosterone i think i ovulated during the party. i woke up today hankering for a make out session like no one's business. holy crap. life is really different when you don't hang out with gay boys all the time.

speaking of non gay boys, today is the first kickball game of the season. i am not sure my back is going to hold, but if the motto is true ("40 minutes a game, 10 minutes of physical exertion, 3 hours of drinking"), I may not have a problem, aging back or not. the league held a kick-off party on friday night. it was such a giant singles scene vibe. i had no idea. i was in it for the fun and competition. but given kickball is a game they let 1st graders play, maybe i shouldn't really let this count as my work out for the day.

(ks, this is for you ... ;) ) i'd like to add a caveat to my last post. while i may harbor some bitterness about my childhood, i think it's at a fairly low level. i think that most, if not all, people come out of adolescence with "issues". people they didn't like, a sense of not belonging, insecurities, etc. i think the point of adulthood and independence is realizing those issues, not letting them hold you back, maybe using them to motivate you, but not letting them make you bitter either. because you could be astoundingly successful but if you can't "get over it", are you really happy? i don't think so. specifically, i'm not going to let whatever issues i have about my childhood hold me back from playing soccer. it was just an observation, a realization i had that had never occurred to me before. i just thought soccer was a stupid sport. turns out, i got issues. issues that aren't going to hold me back.

No comments: