Friday, June 29, 2007

This and That and That and This

My bar review course is held in this antiseptic office space with these rows of cheap tables and chairs from upon which we watch dvds of lecturers given days ago in a city far away. There are roughly 30 of us in this room, although not everyone attends every day. Most of them went to school together, at a school that is not mine. But a friend and I, we go every day, and we sit together, and sometimes we lunch together, and we share snacks, and we share notes, and we do crossword puzzles together, and we generally support each other.

Well, one day, early on in the course, we sat next to this girl who is super weird. She sits in the back, IMs the entire time, and then constantly looks at our papers for what she missed. She's even been caught clipping her nails. My friend and I, we weren't trying to make her a pariah, but we didn't want to sit next to her, lest we get struck in the eye with an errant nail clipping. So we started moving around. And moving around. And moving around some more. And yeah, we realized that two weeks into the course, maybe people were in the seats they felt compelled to sit in for the duration of the course. But we're freaking law school graduates - we cannot possibly be a slave to our habits, right? We have to have more brain power than that, right? Wrong.

This one girl, let's call her Camel Toe, has been super passive aggressive in trying to get her seat back. She exchanges knowing looks with the guy who she used to sit next to, let's call him LLM who's probably going to fail the bar, who we were sitting next to for a few weeks, as if the world was ending b/c she couldn't sit next to him. One day, I came in, and a box was on the table in front of the seat. It was a box of birthday cupcakes that someone else had left. And put it on that seat as if it was HER seat, even though she hadn't sat in that seat in weeks, and she wasn't even there yet. Then yesterday, I got there early, sat in the seat, and then she came and put her stuff in the empty seat next to me, even though someone with fourteen brain cells would have been able to figure out that the seat was essentially saved for my friend. So when my friend got there, she decided not to be a jerk about it - Camel Toe's stuff was there, but her spandex-ensconced body was not. So we moved back a few rows, and resumed our pre-dvd posts. And that would have been fine if Camel Toe didn't, upon returning, gloat like she had somehow overpowered us with her sheer will.

My friend's theory is that Camel Toe has a crush on LLM who's probably going to fail the bar. Whatever. Coming to class in spandex biking shorts with panty lines for ALL THE WORLD TO SEE while you take three minutes to sit back down after prancing back from the bathroom is not going to win his European sensibilities over.

The whole thing really wouldn't bug me so much if it weren't for the fact that, like I said, we're all supposed to be intelligent lawmakers etc etc. Oh, and if I weren't so stressed.

As we speak, as I write this post, I am finishing up my packing. The painters should have finished up last night. I move tonight. Couch comes tomorrow. I'm so excited to get out of this apartment. I'm so excited to move and then settle down and study for the bar. Because fear of failure has officially set in.

Will post pics once new home is in decent shape. Until then, think about visiting! :)

No comments: