Saturday, April 13, 2002

kick ass
one of my hobbies is taekwondo. i got into it basically to get into shape, but since moving to nyc i've started to fight competitively, in the style you would see in the olympics. at first it really freaked me out because i wasn't very good and i have really bad stage fright and i've traditionally been into team sports. but now, 7 months later, i'm really into it!

sparring is so gritty. you really get to go all out and kick and punch your opponents. it's real and it's visceral, if that's the appropriate use of the word. dedicating time to the sport has made me really disciplined and has had a significant impact (in the negative direction) on my social life because going out for drinks before going to practice is just a plain stupid idea. but to me it's way more real than the social/dating scene here. matching my handbag to my shoes, or my lipstick to my nail polish seems so durn silly after knowing that silly ol' me, the yellow belt can go out there and beat brown belts. so maybe i don't make a lot of money and live in a great apartment and have FABULOUS shoes. but i bet i could beat the s*** out of any prissy girl in any bar. so hmph.

i'm not bitter. really. you should try taekwondo and maybe you'll understand.

No comments: