Thursday, September 04, 2008

I Don't Like Republicans. Or At Least, Republican Values.

I, like many people, watched Sarah Palin's speech last night at the RNC. I also caught part of Giuliani's speech. During both, I was shocked and disturbed by the crowd chanting "Drill, baby, drill," referring to drilling in ANWR. To me, this is disgusting. To me, this is Republican inability to see two sides of the issue. To me, this is mob mentality, the same kind of mob mentality that creates groups of people who watch someone get beaten up without stepping in, the same mob mentality that would stone a pedophile. It's sickening. OK, the environment is not a human life, but then again, human lives are more fleeting than the natural world.

Look, I like cars as much as the next person. And I understand that we need oil until we can come up with a viable alternative. But to be so cavalier as to chant during the convention like that. Ugh.

The less shocking but equally disturbing thing I, as many have, observed, is this Republic hypocrisy. If Chelsea Clinton got knocked up, now, much less at 17, oh boy would the Republicans be having a field day. And in Palin's speech, I also observed the Republican tendency to point fingers, to sling mud, to twist the truth. No, Obama did not serve his country by joining the military. But then again, he was born and raised in an age when it was not as expected, nor was it as urgent. But that didn't stop him from serving the people. Sure, it was the people of Chicago, but they are part of humanity nonetheless. I don't think that should be discounted, just because he didn't grab a gun and go shoot Communists in Vietnam. And in Obama's speech, he also made a promise to cut taxes. Increased government spending? Hello, have you looked at the size of the deficit Bush is spending? Winning the war in Iraq? What about funneling some of that money to help the "working Americans" you were so busy touting up on that stage. So F you. And anyone who got caught up in that is an idiot. I don't like Republicans. There, I said it.

1 comment:

BosGuy said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and liked your entry. It reminded me of something I wrote about on my blog around the same time as you. I called the entry Why I am a Democrat.